Ambien (Zolpidem) : Should you take it?
If you are expecting a simple “Yes” or “No” answer for this one, you must be new to the world of medications. Having said that, we are here to squeeze out every important information that you ought to know before Ambien disintegrates into your bloodstream. By then, you will understand why this question is tricky and that a detailed analysis is needed.
But for now, we shall give you this. Ambien (Zolpidem), the sleep aid is predominantly used to treat a certain form of sleep disorder like Insomnia. Coming under the likes of Scheduled drugs, it needs to be administered with the prescription of a doctor. It is used when you require a good sleep at night and hence, indulgence in any other hazardous activity is not encouraged. Let us now jump onto the significant facts on this drug.
Important Facts about Sleep Aids
- The pill has its roots traced to the class of medications called the sedative hypnotics.
- It is available in two forms, one as an immediate release pill and also as an extended release pill.
- The medication is highly regarded for its ability to induce sleep. At the same time, it can also bring in side effects if it is not used appropriately.
- Misuse of this pill for high and other purposes is considered to be an offense.
- Crushing or chewing this formulation is not a recommended approach towards consumption.
- The use of these pills in children and the effectiveness has not been demonstrated or analyzed. Hence, it is strictly prohibited.
- In any case, if the pill brings unusual effects, stay alert and mindful, seeking medical assistance.
How to take sleep medication carefully?
Before you start taking any sleeping drugs, you will have to go through the medication guide that has all prominent information in place. Also, the medical practitioner’s prescription can give you all that you need about the dosage to be followed.
It is recommended that you take only one pill per night before sleep and not at other hours as its sedative nature can mess up your day’s routine. It is meant for oral consumption only, and better if it is consumed that way. Make sure to follow the doctor’s prescription strictly without exceeding 10mg per day.
Possible Side effects if taking it inappropriately,
- Aggressive behavior
- Suicidal thoughts
- Allergic reactions
You can talk to your doctor about other side effects, which might leave serious repercussions when unattended.
Overdose with this medication is also possible when dependence occurs. In those cases, slowed breathing or a coma-like situation arises. Such instances demand immediate medical help for survival.
Sleep Aids Interaction with Alcohol
Strong warnings have been issued against the mixing of Sleep aids like Ambien and Alcohol. In fact, it is considered to be a dangerous combination. Ambien is already known to increase the effect of GABA receptors in the brain. With Alcohol joining the party, the CNS effects will be heightened, owing to which a lot of side effects like loss of consciousness, slowed breathing, coma and even death occur in some cases.
Tips to use Sleep aids Safely
- Most sleep aids like Ambienare known to work faster when it is administered in an empty
- Take the medication only when you are about to sleep.
- Use it for a short interval of time, after which it might become habit-forming.
- Inform your doctor before takingany other medication that gets along well with a sleep aid pill.
- The nature of the pill, whether it is immediate or controlled release determines the time taken for its effect to peak.